Wednesday 12 August 2020

The shape of water and some other good things in Wales.

 


I am back in Wales. In the tiny village of Y Ferwig at Createspace Wales


Feeling very lucky to be here, keeping cool while the south east swelters.

Trying to think positively while all around me the world struggles with Covid-19.

Finding it hard.


So this morning I typed a list of positive words about this place. Things to be grateful for.

One of the traits of resilient people is to be able to identify good things around them, however small. 

 

I found this  TED talk about resilience a helpful reminder of how to keep going when the going gets tough.




The words that came to my mind mostly relate to nature. I have been walking down single track lanes to the coast, marvelling at the abundance of plants in the hedgerows. Feasting on blackberries and swimming in the bracing sea at Mwnt beach.


Here is my list.


HEDGEROW

BLACKBERRIES

SEA

SUNLIGHT

QUIET

BIRDSONG

SWALLOW

DEW LADEN GRASS

PINK STRING

COBWEBS IN THE MORNING SUN

SEA MIST

COLD SEA SWIMMING

THE SOUNDS OF SUMMER

COWS CHEWING 

GNOME PARTY

VERDANT



Most self explanatory. Gnome party is happening right now in the polytunnel at the top of the garden. 

It is a signal of hope.

Of how the imagination allows freedom, particularly if you are a child.


gnome party in the poly tunnel


Pink string; a cheerful choice. 



pink string



Talking to cows is always worthwhile.




inquisitive cow



Late afternoon sun on the roadside flora.




hedgerow


Some paths are a little too lush. Nettles and brambles in abundance.


verdant pathway



And of course there are the campers.

With a view of the sea from the top of a field.

All very tidy and organised.

It is the sound of happy holiday makers rising up onto the cliff top from the beach below that I refer to in 'the sounds of summer'.

A hundred happy people's voices melded into one characteristic soundtrack.




a room with a view





tidy campers



I have collected some leaves and flowers and had a go at mono printing.


hedgerow monoprint





leaves from the hedgerow


Finding inspiration is a struggle right now.

I am uncertain where all of this is leading. 


So I keep reminding myself that inspiration comes when it is ready. It is OK not to have a plan.


I'll just keep walking, and occasionally come across moments of magic that set me free.




Like the sight of sunlight on the sea at Mwnt from the top of the cliff.


A meditative moment that will linger long in my memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment