Tuesday 30 April 2019

Throwing grass and letting go in the Hebrides



Luskentyre, Harris




Harris, in the Outer hebrides.



My favourite place in the world.

I went for just four days, determined to do very little other than walk, write and take some photos.

I was thinking all the while about ways to do very little, or as I thought of it 'practically nothing'.

I found a few ways.

Collecting shells on the beach was my first.







On Scarista beach I collected sea urchin fragments. They reminded me of Paul Kenny's work, 'Heaven or Las Vegas', Ross strand, Mayo, 2008, shown below.

Why so rectangular, when a sea urchin is round, I kept thinking.

https://paul-kenny.co.uk/photo_5003362.html



My fragments were less varied in colour.

homage to Paul Kenny, 2019

I photographed them on my notebook and then dissembled the arrangement, not wanting to copy Paul's work.

I found a number of sheep with lambs to talk to.

lamb and ewe, Harris 2019


My favourite was this brown one.

We had a good chat, eye to eye.

I said more than she did.




I revisited all of my favourite beaches.

I had forgotten how white the sand is, and how clear the water.

Such a sense of space and freedom.


Luskentyre, Harris 2019



And when I had tired of walking on sand, I decided to explore the old coffin road that crosses the island from west to east.



Coffin Road, Harris








By this time I was so good at doing practically nothing that I started to play a little.





I searched for circles of lichen on rocks, but the rocks were mostly unappealing.

Still trying to do nothing in particular I waited for three o'clock.

It came.





I walked on, and was soon drawn to some curling grasses by the roadside.

I pulled some and held it, trying to photograph the curling blades with the road ahead.



Then I threw some into the air to catch the wind.

It flew.

I tried to throw and capture it on my camera; not easy with one hand.

I failed over and over.

But the very act of throwing gave more pleasure than I care to admit.

Finally I managed, just once,  to catch a tendril before it fell.

throwing grass, Harris , 2019


Somehow this one photograph captures everything that I was feeling.... a sense of freedom and lightness.

It is my favourite image from the trip.

Later I wrote some words to accompany it.

First I tried typing a note on my typewriter. There is no option to change and edit as one writes with a typewriter, so the first draft is quite spontaneous.






Later I revisited these thoughts and tried some different words in my notebook, writing and re-writing, playing with verbs.

I call them 'Letting Go'.




Letting go



throwing 
throwing grass
pulling
tearing
throwing
grass

pulling skywards
throwing windwards
throwing
blowing
falling
splaying

throw
pull
watch
blow
grip
pull
drop
fly


fall

let



go








 **************




Finding ways to do nothing was a good way to spend a few days.








I won't leave it so long before I go back next time.




Northton, Harris






2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the concept, the image, and the words: throwing grass in the Hebrides. Some folks capture the wind with drawing implement devices, but I so prefer your spontaneous letting go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Olga

      It was a very liberating experience, and a special time.

      Delete