Tuesday 13 March 2018

I'm not on the train......... I'm in the bush ....... at Orokonui ecosanctuary




A weekend away.

Not far. Two hours from oamaru is Dunedin ; a large university town with a railway, cruise liners and for the likes of me, a beautiful peninsula of hills and beaches.

I headed to Portobello, beside the sea.

It was very cold the first day. So cold that I had to put on my favourite socks,

But it didn't last. It turned out very nice.

And while the sun shone I explored.

Saturday was the pyramids and the beach.


the small pyramid at Victory beach


I duly climbed the pyramid and got a wonderful view. I had it all to myself.


looking south from the pyramid

marshland below the small pyramid

grassy paths below the small pyramid

Soon after my descent a large party arrived to climb the hill. I was safely on my way to the beach before all 30 of them crowded at the top.



The other pyramid is easily seen from the top .



larger pyramid at Victory beach

The beach was beautiful.

White sand and sparkling waves.


Victory beach

obligatory selfie


Victory beach


I relaxed in the sunshine, and then spent the rest of the day exploring the peninsula, meeting dogs and sheep along the way.

The dog was a lot better company than the sheep.


dog

sheep


sheep 



Beach side huts are common on the coast.


Interpret this one as you will.






So that was Saturday.

On Sunday I was to ride the Taieri Gorge railway.






I got up very early for the occasion. Seven o'clock on a Sunday morning.

I drove to the railway station.



I was early so I took a few photos.







I looked at my ticket.


It said I was due to travel on Saturday. I was a day late.

I talked to the good folk in the ticket office.

They kindly upgraded me to the longer journey to Middlemarch. A six hour return trip.






Time was passing. I was not sure about six hours on a train on such a beautiful day.


A very expensive piece of paper......





I chickened out at the last minute.

Turned back to the car and escaped.

I couldn't face a few hours of sitting cooped with a number of strangers who looked more keen to be there than I.

I headed off up the road to Oronokui Ecosanctuary.

The best decision that I have made this month.

It was heavenly.

I spent hours there.

Orokonui ecosanctuary cafe



Orokonui ecosanctuary

my bird photography leaves a lot to be desired.... this is a Kaka


The bird song was vibrant and loud.


I made lots of recordings, for these are the sounds that I associate with South Island.


Easter orchid

ferns

young lancewood trees





If you have a few spare minutes and are really bored, or just looking to relax,  here are some photos, a video and lots of noisy bird sounds in a video compilation from the sanctuary.




No comments:

Post a Comment