Sunday 22 December 2013

The countdown begins........the dream is becoming a reality



The visa has been granted. After a week in which almost every device in the house has broken, including all central heating and the back up gas fire, I finally received an email granting me a ticket to Gore, Southland, New Zealand, where I will be allowed to work for 12 weeks and then travel for 4 weeks.

I received a message on my phone asking me to pick up my passport at my convenience and to bring some ID with me.

I will take my face, as I don't possess any other photo ID. Do they not realise that my passport IS my ID?

So the picture above is the street that I will be living in and the picture below is the same street, complete with one of my favourite photographic subjects; a telephone pylon.

It looks quite quiet.........









































Thank you Google Street view.

It is somewhat reassuring to know that I will not be sleeping in a hovel or even a block of flats, but suburbia good and proper. Home from home. Not very adventurous you may say, but safe and free of charge, kindly provided by my employers along with a car.

AND

only a little way to some of the world's most stunning scenery.





So now I have much to do.


  • write book on how to run a house for other half; I suspect this may take a while
  • decide how many new cameras I need or more importantly what camera to take and how much kit is really necessary 
  • send a bag ahead of myself to reduce my excess baggage charges ( $50 per kilo on New Zealand air)
  • teach my mother to skype
  • collect together almost all the documents that I own as proof that I am who I say I am and that I am not a bogus
  • try not to lose said documents in my attempts to get organised




the list is long

and now I can get started and look forward to views like this at Lake Tekapo







It will be a good Christmas and there is much to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment