Sunday 3 November 2019

In a quiet place- an exhibition with haiku







For the last 2 weeks I have been involved in an exhibition 'In a quiet place' in Rye with two good friends, Ali Stump and Birgitta Wilson. They are both very talented printmakers.

We share a love of nature, of stillness and quiet, and of words.

So in the quiet times between customers, what better way to spend our time than by writing haiku about the works hanging on the gallery wall.

The format of a haiku is one of three lines, with five, seven and five syllables in that order.

Short and sweet.

A not too challenging way to pass time.


Starting with Conversation Piece 1 ...





Conversation Piece by Caroline Fraser


light on a small stream
dances across the water
speaking silently




and then for some bowls and jugs





upon the table
fine white china jug and bowl
remind me of home



prints by Ali Stump





'all is calm' by Birgitta Wilson


deep in the forest
branches coated thick with snow
lie quietly sleeping






Olive, my typewriter has typed out quite a few of our creations, but then decided to do her own thing....


olivetti type 5x7




She is a bit obsessional.... and enjoys patterns more than poems...


And then there are the sea wall stories.


sea wall stories and other works 




For these I have written a longer poem, which is going to get me started on making my next book.

I will share it when the book is ready, which might be a while. 



 sea wall story 2019

 sea wall story  2019


 It has been the quiet times, sitting in the gallery that have allowed new words to be written, and new ideas to form.

For that, and for the friendship that I share, I am truly grateful.



gallery view 'In a quiet place'


I will leave you with some words shared with me last week;




'The present is a magic time'.




And so it is.....







No comments:

Post a Comment