Tuesday 4 December 2018

So said the Sun ; a new artist book

So said the Sun

When I was studying book art we spent a whole morning debating the question

 'when is a piece of work finished?'

It was a rather silly session involving lots of equations and collaboration in groups.

At the end of the morning I came to the conclusion that the answer to this question was not a mathematical equation but was

'when I say so'.

And now the book that I have been working on for the last 3 weeks is finished.

I wrote about its progress in my last post, and after enjoying the Japanese aesthetic at Japan House, I had a clearer idea of how to make my book of abstract images of light on water work( for me at least).



Along the way a new title came to me that I hope expresses what the book is about.

So Said the Sun .....

Messages from the sun.

Asemic text ( an abstract text that cannot be read except by one's imagination)


So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018


 I finally mastered getting the thin Kozo paper to print, by temporarily sticking it to a sheet of more robust paper.

I bought some strong but soft Satogami paper for a hard cover, and for the first time in years made a hard bound book.




satogami paper cover


It looks and feel so much more serious than a soft card covered book.

The inside is delicate and fragile.

The outside is firm and protective.


title page..... So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018

So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018

So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018

So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018

 And on the last page appears a rabbit.


So said the Sun


It is done.

I will be making 5 copies to sell as a short edition. 

Message me if you are interested. 


So Said the Sun © Caroline Fraser 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment