Monday 19 January 2015

There were five in a bed...… on larking about, shoes and fashion photography…..




There were five in a bed

And the little one said, 'roll over'…….      

are the words that come to mind when I look at this image by Guy Bourdin, fashion photographer , (1928-1991).

His work is currently showing at Somerset House, and I can't remember when I last had so much fun at a photography exhibition.





Guy travelled around the UK from Paris in a cadillac on a road trip in the 70's to make images for Charles Jourdan, the French shoe designer.

The images that he made using a pair of mannequin legs were inspired, and make for an exuberant and amusing first part of this large exhibition.











He painted in his spare time, on  similar themes to those of his photographs. Ladies in underwear and intimate interiors, lounging on chairs.

My how fashions have changed in the world of underwear.

I can't say I am sorry not to have to wear a Playtex living girdle or equivalent as part of my under garments.

Anyone who knows me will know that I don't do shoes……….or handbags either. Most fashion photography leaves me cold. Not so with Guy's work.










punters at somerset house


Guy used polaroids to test his carefully composed scenes for light and structure in the way that current photographers might use their mobile phone.







His use of light and shadow was masterful.







He was quite good at making cine films too……….







The whole exhibition is beautifully laid out at Somerset House, and I went home completely uplifted by his sense of fun and stunning photography.







I'll leave you with some legs……….


and some more shoes.


Not a high heel in sight.


Visual poetry for photographers and leg lovers alike.




You can find out much more at 'Guy Bourdin:Image Maker'  on the Somerset House website.

2 comments: